Tuesday, June 09, 2009

We're off to see the Wizard ...

I hadn't really planned on doing another set of stamp images so soon after the last batch but the stars aligned just so, and here I am again. I'm not sure where the thought originated, but I decided I wanted to read "The Wizard of Oz". I had seen the movie for at least several years in a row when I was a kid but for some reason never actually read the book. To be honest, I don't even remember the last time I saw the movie, way back then. I do remember one year, watching the movie and being aware that some members of my family were missing. It's a vague memory but it seems like maybe my younger brother & Mom were at the hospital? Can't remember why or if it's even true, it's just there.

Anyway, I began looking for some of the vintage copies of the books, (L. Frank Baum wrote 14 Oz stories) on ebay & started collecting them to read and for the images. Denslow illustrated the 1st book, "The Wizard of Oz" than apparently had a falling out with Baum & John R. Neil started illustrating the rest of the Oz stories. Personally I prefer the illustrations by Neil, to me Denslow made Dorothy look like a 4 year old instead of the 10 year old she was supposed to be. The only other characters that Denslow drew that I think are ok are the Tin Man which really looks like the character designed for the movie and the flying monkey's. As I was going through the books I noticed that a lot of the images would be great for Halloween. Not only are there witches but Jack Pumpkinhead (created from sticks & a pumpkin and brought to life by magic) and flying monkey's (not as bad as the movie made them out to be) as well as crows and several other illustrations that would work for the holiday. Sooo, I put together the 1st installment of Oz images specifically for Halloween.
Now until June 15th they can be bought for 20% off on my Pre-Sale page with the rubber expected in by the end on next week (approx. June19th) get the details at MadRatRubber.

No comments:

Post a Comment